Wednesday, March 12, 2014

An extra post for you today just because I had to run outside and, while the toasty warmth of yesterday is still here, it is also grey and rainy and bleh. 

Y'all, I'm gonna level with you, here. Springtime in Virginia ain't always what it's cracked up to be.  Only in storybooks does spring actually happen in March.  Here, winter toys with you until sometime in April and then it's just really really wet, even by Virginia standards, and I am pretty sure that before Richmond and Williamsburg actually existed as such, their Indian names were "Places where it Rains 370 Days a Goddamn Year And Yes We Know There Are 365 Days In Your English Year But We Gave You Five Extra Days To Hold All The Stupid Rain That Happens Here." And then when that part is done, it becomes summer in about 35 seconds and it's really hot.

However, I wish to point out that even the windy cold rain of Spring is tempered with wonderful things. Here are some of them.  

a)Nothing, no place, is more beautiful than Monument Avenue in the Spring. Unless it's Monument Avenue in the Fall.

b)Shamrock Shakes exist.  I'm usually not a McDonald's kind of boy, but dagnabit, those things are tasty.

c)Shamrock the Block exists.  There's nothing like an excuse to drink in public, especially with a lot of hot college students.   And this year it exists on the Boulevard, so I can walk to it.

d)Easter Candy.  I know, I'm not supposed to be eating the stuff during Lent, but I can't help myself.  The only thing that saves me is that it goes on 1/2 price sale after Easter so I hold out as long as possible.  We have several subsets of deliciousness: 
--Mary Sue Easter Eggs.  I may never want to see Baltimore again, but I can't resist its local candy.
--Peeps.  Say what you will, they're delicious. And cheap. And cute.
--Jelly beans, but only the spice kind.  The fruit kind are nast and should be used to stop plumbing leaks.
--And the crown jewel of Easter candy perfection--the Cadbury Creme Egg. 

It may be dismal outside; there may be mildew growing on every available surface, but: Cadbury Creme Eggs, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks! Now, go get a drink, sit down and enjoy the show.